Thursday, May 7, 2009

A Beginning

"He who has begun is half done. Dare to be wise; begin!" ~Horace

Well, I have been meaning to start this blog journal to share my resources and experiences with other moms and I am finally diving in..headfirst. Today I had my first small group Mom's meeting and we discussed the book "Taking Care of the Me in Mommy" by Lisa Whelchel. It has so many practical tips for moms on nurturing our spirit, body, and soul (I Thessalonians 5:23). I am excited for what these next 6 weeks will bring as we share our thoughts and ideas on these topics. The website for the book is www.LisaWhelchel.com.
Tonight we discussed Scripture Memory and Prayer. It is important that we are aware of everything we allow to enter through our eyes, ears, and heart. What you receive (allow in) is most likely what you will give. Prayer is simply a heart to heart conversation with God. Prayer is also worship, listening, confession and submitting to His will, not just requesting things from God.
John 15:4-5 (NIV)"4Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. 5"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. "

Here are my favorite tips for memorizing Scripture:
  • Make index cards or post-it notes with verses on them. wwwBibleGateway.com is a great resource for finding scripture by topic, keyword, or reference and for reading the Bible in different translations.
  • Keep blank index cards or post-its in your Bible and write down verses that are meaningful to you.
  • Post the Scriptures around the house where you will see them - computer, mirror, fridge, microwave, car visor, purse, TV screen, kitchen sink, etc.
  • Read them aloud.
  • Try "Scripture primping": Verses to match your tasks as you get ready for the day. For example, as you brush your teeth read Psalm 19:14 "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.". As you put on your eye makeup recite Proverbs 16:2 "All the ways of a man are pure in his own eyes, but the Lord weighs the spirit." (emphasis added)
Here are my favorite tips for prayer:
  • Pray during everyday tasks. Pray for the person whose clothes you are folding. Pray for your kids as you drop them off at school.
  • As you clean, pray over specific rooms and related activities in those rooms (for example bathroom - purity, dining room - healthy habits, family room - harmony and good communication).
  • Pray the Scriptures you know or are learning.
  • Take a prayer walk and pray for your neighbors as you pass their homes.
  • Pray for a different topic each day of the week. Make them easy to remember like Monday Marriage or Friday Finances.
  • Find a prayer partner or make prayer appointments in your calendar or planner.

No comments:

Post a Comment